GUIDELINES FOR REPLACEMENT OF TEACHERS POST PRIMARY INSTITUTIONS
Following the advertisement for the replacement of teachers, Boards of Management are required to conduct the selection exercise for the advertised vacancy(ies) in their institutions.
The Selection Panel will be expected to exercise the highest degree of transparency and accountability as Stipulated in the Public Officers Ethics Act, TSC Code of Conduct and Ethics 2015.
The Head of Institution is required to induct the panel members on the relevant sections of the Act and CORT 2015 before the commencement of the selection exercise.
The TSC County Director Mf/S7 ensure that the recruitment process is done in strict adherence to the laid down protocols by the Ministry of Health on containment of COVID- 19 pandemic.
All applicants must be registered teachers as per Section 23(l } of the Teachers Service Commission Act. 2012. Applicants who are not registered do not qualify to be recruited.
Applicants who apply for confirmation of results from KNEC should give the address of the County Director where they have submitted their applications.
Applicants whose names differ in the certificates and/or identification cards are required to present an affidavit on the difference in names.
Applicants who either KCPE or KCSE examinations (or their equivalents) MUST present certified copies of the certificate(s) of the national examination(s) in question for all attempts.
Applicants will be required to submit their applications to the Secretary Teachers Service Commission through the online platform www.teacheronline.tsc.go.ke for the institution where a vacancy has been declared.
Generated Merit List will be sent to the County Director. Upon receipt of the Merit List, the County Director shall share with the Sub- County Directors and Heads of Institutions.
Heads Of InstitUtiOnS Shall use the Merit List to organize the interviews in consultation with their respective SUb-County Directors.
Upon invitation for an interview, applicants will be expected to appear with originals and clear copies of the following documents:
- National identification card
- National Council of Persons with Disability (NCPWD) Cara (where applicable):
- KCPE certificate or it’s equivalent (include certificates for attempts if one repeated exams):
- KCSE certificates or it’s equivalent (include certificates for attempts if one repeated exams); Diploma/Degree certificate and official transcripts: Certificate of Registration as a teacher:
- Evidence of service os a teacher intern (where applicable): Sworn Affidavit where nomes appearing on the submitted documents differ;
- Primary and Secondary School leaving certificates and other relevant testimonials.
The date, venue and time of the interview should be displayed on notice boards at the Count, Sub-Counties, Zonal and Institutional offices.
Heads of Institutions should communicate to all shortlisted applicants through SMS (Short Message Service) at least seven (7) days before the actual date of the interview. This provision MUST be strictly observed to ensure that all applicants are notified of the date of the interview, venue and time.
All applicants irrespective of gender, disability, ethnicity or Home County should be given equal opportunity. However, in case of a tie, considera1ion will be given to the following aspects in their order of priority:
- Applicant (s) with disability(ies):
- Service as a teacher intern;
- Preference to applicants who had not been previously employed by the Commission;
- Preference to applicants who graduated earlier:
- Quality of certificates presented i.e. higher aggregate KCSE grade should first be considered. If the applicants tie at the aggregate grade, the subject grades should be used:
The names of interviewed applicants ranked in order of performance during the selection process for each vacancy (Appendix iii) will then be submitted to the Commission by the County Director together with Application for Employment forms.
Applicants who were previously employed by the Commission MUST declare their past employment history and reason(s) for a break in service (with evidence in the break-in service).
Applicants who were previously employed by the Commission and FAIL to declare their past employment shall be disqualified. However. preference will be given to applicants who have never been employed by the Commission.
TSC County Directors MUST ensure that Heads of Instilufions confirm the online registration status of the applicants to avoid engaging unregistered/deregisTered teachers in the selection process.
Authenticity Of Academic And Professional Other Relevant Information.
(a|Applicants must present original and legible photocopies of the following documents: –
- National identification cards:
- National Council of Persons with Disability tNCf’WD) Cord (where applicable);
- Certificate of Registration as a teacher
- KCPE (or it’s equivalent) Cei1lficotes (include cerl1ficotes for attempts if one repeated exams);
- KCSE (or it’s equivalent) Cerllflcotes (Include certificates for attempts If one repeated exams):
- Diploma/Degree Certificates and official transcripts;
- Primary and Secondary Schools leaving certificates:
- Evidence of service as a teacher Intern (where applicable);
- Sworn Affidavit where nomes in the submitted documents differ.
NB: Provisional transcripts shall not be accepted.
The selection panel shall vet each applicant to verify that: –
- He/she meets the requirements of the TSC advertisement;
- All submitted original academic and professional certificates as well as official transcripts ore authentic.
- The proof of application for confirmation of resUlts Tom KNEC has been availed where the certificates are missing.
NB: The onus is on the concerned applicant to follow up with KNEC for the confirmation of results within fourteen 14 days after the interview date.
Where results have been confirmed, the original statement of confirmation of results shall be submitted together with the Application for Employment Form.
The Secretory. Board of Management shall certify photocopies of the original certificates and confirm to the Sub-County Director thot they ore true copies of the candidate’s original certificates.
Once the interview process is completed, the results must be communicated to all applicants on the same day. Successful applicant(s) snail De issued with the TSC Application for Employment Form (s).
It is the responsibility of the TSC County Director/Representative to ensure that the: –
- Exercise is fair and transparent;
- Successful applicants on the merit List fill the application for Employment Form (s).
The Secretary, Board of Management should ensure the Application for Employment Form (s) is correctly filled b Y the applicant(s) without erasing.
The completed Application for Employment Form(s) together with other relevant documents should be submitted to the TSC County Direc tor’s office by the TSC Sub-County Director.
The TSC County Director, upon verification ana ensuring that all the requirements are met by the successful candidates, will submit the recruitment documents to fine TSC Headquarters within the stipulated timelines.
Any applicants who present forged/fake academic, professional and other documents commit(s) on offence; shall be disqualified ana considered for deregistration subject to a disciplinary process.
- Chairperson, Board of Management – Chairperson
- Head of the Institution – Secretary
- Subject Specialist – Member
- TSC County Director/ Representative -Member
TOTAL – 4
SELECTION PANEL FOR SCHOOLS WITHOUT BOMs
- TSC County Director/ Representative – Chairperson
- Head Of the Institution – Secretary
- Subject Specialist – Member
- PA Chairperson – Member
TOTAL – 4
NB: The TSC County Director shall ensure that the Selection Panel is well
sensitized to interview within the COVID- 19 containment measures as set by the Ministry Of Health.
a) The Secretary, Board of Management shall present a system-generated list received from the County Director of all applicants to the selection panel.
b) The selection panel shall conduct interviews for those who meet the criteria. The County Director should note any inconsistency(ies), make a decision(s) based on the guidelines and advise the applicants /panel and the Commission accordingly.
c) Applicants shall present themselves in person to the selection panel. The panel shall score each applicant based on the selection score guide (Appendices 1 (a) or 1 (b))
NB. An applicant whose special need is related to hearing and/or speech shall be allowed to be accompanied by a sign language interpreter.
Applicants must have a minimum mean grade of C+ (plus) at KCSE and C+ (plus) in each of the two teaching subjects or two (2) Principles and one (l ) Subsidiary pass at ‘A’ Level. Besides, they must have:
(a) A Bachelor of Education Degree with two (2) teaching subjects.
(b) A Bachelor of Science or Arts Degree plus a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) with two teaching subjects.
(c) Bachelor of Science with Education/Bachelor of Arts with Education with two teaching subjects.
i) Bachelor of Education holders with Mean Grade of C (Plain) and C (Plain) in the two teaching subjects at KCSE and have undertaken a Diploma in Education or gone through the A-Level system in the relevant area(s) are eligible.
ii) Bridging/Pre-university certificates for those who completed the course before December 31st 2015 may be considered.
2. Diploma Teachers
Applicants must have a minimum Mean Grade of C+ (Plus) at KCSE or its equivalent with at least C+ (Plus) (or Credit pass) in the two teaching subjects or one (l) Principle and two (2) Subsidiaries at ‘A’-Level. Also, they must have a Diploma in Education from a recognized Teacher Training Institution.
- Diploma Teachers who graduated in 2008 Or before with a Mean Grade of C (Plain) and C (Plain) in the two teaching subjects are eligible;
- Hearing and Visually impaired teachers who enrolled for training with Mean Grade Of C (Plain) and C (Plain) in the two teaching subjects are eligible.
Applicants must have a minimum Mean Grade of C+ (Plus) at KCSE or its equivalent with at least C+ (Plus) (or Credit Pass) in the two teaching subjects or one (l) Principle and two (2) Subsidiaries at ‘A’-Level. Besides, they must have:
Bachelor of Education Technology (Bed TECH); OR
Bachelor of Science (BSc) in any relevant technical Subject (s) /Course: or
Higher Diploma in a technical course; or A Diploma in a technical course.
Further, applicants under category (b) above MUST possess a Diploma in Technical Teacher Education from Kenya Technical Teachers College (KTTC) or a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) from a recognized University.
Applicants whose training is in subjects that are currently not in the curriculum does not qualify irrespective of their having undertaken a Post
Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) and/or enhancement. This category includes but not limited to Bachelor of Science /Bachelor of Arts in:
- Natural Resources
- Animal Husbandry
- Farm Machinery
- Journalism etc.
Applicants with Economics/Commerce/Accounting can apply for Business Studies and those with Social Education and Ethics (SEE) for CRE/IRE vacancies.
Diploma Teachers with English/other subjects qualify for employment as English/Literature teachers.
All applicants must have studied the two teaching subjects at KCSE except for Agriculture, Business Studies, Home Science, and Computer.
For those who did not study Business Studies and Computer, one should have attained a minimum of C+ (Plus) in Mathematics in KCSE.
For those who did not study Agriculture and Home Science, one should have attained a minimum of C+ in Biology at KCSE.
Graduate Teachers should have studied a minimum of eight (8) course units in each teaching subject.
- How to apply for TSC teacher transfer online. APPLICATIONS PROCESS
- TSC Makes New Changes On Teachers Service Delivery And Gives New Directives To Its Employees
Applicants presenting enhancement certificate(s)/official transcripts in teaching subject(s) from a recognized institution(s) qualify for employment if they scored at least a C+ (Plus) in the enhanced subject at KCSE.
Applicants previously employed under contract and whose services were terminated due to inadequate units in teaching subjects and have since obtained enhancement certificates with adequate units are eligible to apply.
Applicants applying for computer studies MUST have taken teaching methods course on the subject.
For applicants trained in Special Needs Education, Kenya Sign Language (KSL) or Braille are considered as teaching subjects e.g. Biology/KSL and Geography/Braille.
VALIDATION OF DOCUMENTS BY THE TSC COUNTY DIRECTOR
The TSC County Directors should: –
- Ensure that the Application for Employment Forms have all the
- attachments required;
- Vet the recruitment documents to verify that the applicant(s) recruited
- qualify for employment as per the provisions of the recruitment guidelines;
- Ensure that all documents are duly signed as required; including the score
- Ensure that all documents are duly signed as required: including the score sheets, Minutes of the Selection Panels and Section C of the Application for Employment form confirming that the candidate qualifies/merits to be employed:
- Compile complaints received and submit appropriate action taken or recommendations to the Commission.
- Government Asked To Include Special Needs Learners’ Data Into Control System
- Igathe Unveils Plan For Public Schools and ECDE Teachers
- Malala Posts KCSE And University Papers Public
- How Parents Are Scammed By Conmen During School Breaks
- Alarming Teens Pregnancy Stage Posing Health Risks