ECDE Teacher Salary Scale In Kenya
Early Childhood Education continues to be a significant determinant of a learner’s performance and general behaviour as he or she advances to higher levels of learning.
As a result, every parent hopes that his or her child will attend an early year institution that provides an excellent academic foundation.
Without a doubt, teachers play an important role not only in academic performance but also in the moral development of young students.
Most Tutors who teach learners at those levels have at least a Diploma in Early Childhood Teacher Education (DECTE).
ECDE teachers are among the lowest-paid public servants in Kenya, particularly in the teaching profession.
Because ECDE teachers in Kenya are employed by county governments, their salaries are not standardized.
The salary of an ECDE teacher is largely determined by the county’s Early Childhood and Development Education teacher remuneration formula.
Qualifications to be an ECD Teacher
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) minimum grade D+(Plus) or KCE division IV
- at ‘O’ Level;
- Certificate in Early Childhood Development Education offered by KNEC/Ministry of Education
- or its approved equivalent;
- A certificate in Computer proficiency;
- Certificate of Good Conduct.
While at school, ECDE teachers are required to perform the following duties:
- In-class instruction
- Organizing and facilitating learners’ access to play/learning resources.
- Managing ECDE classes by maintaining professional and administrative records, such as work schemes, lesson plans, daily activity schedules, and class attendance registers, among other things.
- Ensure the safety and security of students while they are at school.
- Spiritually, morally, socially, mentally, physically, and emotionally caring for and nurturing the learners.
ECDE teachers’ salaries begin at KSH. 7,000, with the highest paying county paying Ksh. 40,000.
Most counties hire ECDE teachers on contract rather than on a permanent and pensionable basis.
Teachers in some counties are entitled to house allowances, responsibility allowances, and commuter allowances.
The average salaries of ECDE teachers in Kenya are as follows.
|ECDE Teachers Level of Education||Salary|
Unlike the Teachers Service Commission (TSC), county governments pay different salaries to ECDE teachers based on their qualifications.
The average salaries of ECDE teachers in various counties are listed below.
Counties paying Less Than Ksh 10,000/=
Certificate Holders Ksh.7,500
Diploma Holders Ksh.8,500
Certificate holder Ksh.8,000
Diploma Holder Ksh. 10000
Degree Holder Ksh. 12000
Certificate holder Ksh. 10,000
Diploma Holder Ksh.12,200
Degree holder Ksh.15,000
Certificate holders in those counties receive Ksh 7,500 per month, while Diploma holders receive Ksh 8,500.
Siaya County also provides ECD teachers with paid NHIF.
2. Counties paying between Ksh 10,000 to 20,000/=
Certificate Holder 19,160
Diploma Holder 15,620
Certificate holders in these counties earn Ksh. 10,000, diploma holders Ksh. 12,200, and degree holders Ksh. 15,000.
In Nairobi County, an assistant ECDE teacher earns between Ksh 15,620.00 and Ksh 19,160.00 per month.
3. Counties That Pay More than Ksh 20,00/=
Certificate holders-Ksh. 28,000
Diploma holders- Ksh. 30,000
Untrained ECD teachers- Ksh. 20,000
Certificate holders- Ksh. 24,000
Diploma- Ksh. 27,000
degree holders- Ksh. 35,000
Diploma holders: Ksh. 43,000
Certificate holders Ksh. 37,000.
Certificate Holders Ksh.8,000
Diploma Holders Ksh. 10,000
The above-mentioned salary includes all allowances from which they benefit.
ECDE Teachers Allowances
These teachers are given allowances to help with their expenses. Included in such allowance packages are:
1. Commuter allowances.
3. Medical insurance allowances.
4. Housing Allowances, among others.
These allowances are on a monthly basis.
ECDE education was devolved to county governments with the introduction of devolution in the new constitution in 2010.
This means that, among other things, all 47 county governments are responsible for teacher recruitment, remuneration, and the construction of ECDE classrooms.
ECDE Teacher Evaluation
The following are the grades for new ECDE teachers.
The ECDE teacher grading system is for regular teachers who do not have a rank in the Teachers Service Commission.
A new grading system for ECDE teachers with higher ranks in the Teachers Service Commission is shown below.
ECDE Teachers Scheme Of Service In Kenya
On July 1, 2018, Kenya’s ECDE teachers scheme of service went into effect. Following the scheme’s implementation, all qualified ECDE teachers who met the minimum requirements were invited to participate.
- How Parents Are Scammed By Conmen During School Breaks
- Alarming Teens Pregnancy Stage Posing Health Risks
- Sh1.95billion Acquired For Lending To SMEs, Education Sector
- Social Sciences, Media Studies, Fine Arts, Film, Animation, Graphics & Related Courses
- One Student Dies, 4 Injured In Separate Accidents
Early Childhood Development Education teachers have played a critical role in ensuring that learning occurs from the beginning.