Police Drowns While Trying To Save Drowning Student
A police officer and a teen were confirmed dead after drowning in the Keiya earth dam in Endui village, Mwingi, Kitui County.
On Sunday, the 15-year-old Mutuang’ombe Secondary School student went to fetch water with his friends when he decided to swim but drowned in the dam.
Following the incident, Daniel Kasina, a 40-year-old police officer, slipped off the dam bank and drowned while attempting to rescue the 15-year-old boy.
Mwingi Central Deputy OCPD Nicholas Mutuma confirmed the incident and warned residents against swimming in dams and rivers.
Residents in the area who claim to have lost livestock to drowning are now urging the county government to fence off the dam.
According to a World Health Organization report, 40 people drown every hour around the world, with three of them being children.
Kenya is ranked 19th out of 172 countries in the world for the highest rate of accidental drowning.
- One Student Dies, 4 Injured In Separate Accidents
- 59% Of Girls Dropped Out After Covid-19 Pandemic Because They Had Outgrown Schooling
- Watchman Proudly Graduates with First-Class Honors
- Grade 4 Schoolgirl Found Dead After Missing On Sunday
- UAE Mesmerized By 12-year-old Kenyan CEO Presentation On Technology
- National Government Administrative officers Ordered To Ensure All Form Ones Join Secondary Schools