Application Deadline: 18th January 2021 midnight
About the Award: The University of Kent is overwhelmed to invite applications for up to ten Global Challenges Doctoral Centre (GCDC) study scholarships, beginning in the academic year 2021-2022 (from September 2021). The ultimate number of positions will be contingent upon funding.
The Global Challenges Doctoral Centre (GCDC) is financed by the Global Challenges Research Fund and the university and is committed to funding, supporting and connecting doctoral students who are engaging in challenge-led research related to the UN Sustainable Development Goals that address economic and social challenges in 3rd wold countries.
The scholarship contest is open to all new postgraduate research candidates, in any discipline. We especially invite applications from the UK domiciled Black African, Afro-Caribbean, and Asian communities as these groups are underrepresented in academia.
Eligible Field(s): The GCRF has distinguished three principal hurdles that research projects should address:
- Equitable access to sustainable development;
- Sustainable economies and societies; and
- Human rights, good governance and social justice.
Lastly, the study projects must address the UN sustainable development goal(s) and exhibit direct benefit(s) to specific DAC-list country/countries.
Value of Award: GCDC scholars (starting in September 2021) will get the following:
- An annual stipend for 3.5 years (TBC, for 2020/21 this was £15,285)
- Annual tuition fees for 3.5 years
- A Research Training Support Grant of £1,500 per year for the first 3 years of study, plus access to an additional top-up fund
- Specialised interdisciplinary GCDC cohort training activities
Candidates paying overseas fees are welcome to apply, as some GCDC scholarships may be offered at the international and new EU tuition fees rate (75% of the Overseas fees rate). In addition, some academic schools may be able to support other applicants financially beyond the UKRI level.
Duration of Award: 3.5 years
How to Apply: When applying, students should follow the University of Kent’s standard online application process.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.