Police Drowns While Trying To Save Drowning Student
A police officer and a teen were confirmed dead after drowning in the Keiya earth dam in Endui village, Mwingi, Kitui County.
On Sunday, the 15-year-old Mutuang’ombe Secondary School student went to fetch water with his friends when he decided to swim but drowned in the dam.
Following the incident, Daniel Kasina, a 40-year-old police officer, slipped off the dam bank and drowned while attempting to rescue the 15-year-old boy.
Mwingi Central Deputy OCPD Nicholas Mutuma confirmed the incident and warned residents against swimming in dams and rivers.
Residents in the area who claim to have lost livestock to drowning are now urging the county government to fence off the dam.
According to a World Health Organization report, 40 people drown every hour around the world, with three of them being children.
Kenya is ranked 19th out of 172 countries in the world for the highest rate of accidental drowning.
- 15 Students Depart for Global ICT Competition in China
- 13-Year-Old Girl Forced to Work in a Dumpsite to Support Family’s Education Expenses
- 15 Students Stranded in Finland as Scholarship Fee Dispute Unfolds
- 173,137 Students Eligible for University Placement, Says CS Machogu
- Student Stabs Colleague to Death in School Fight
- Embu University Students Unveil Digitised Project to Reduce School Bus Accidents