- Basic Education PS Belio Kipsang reported that a total of 59 teachers, learners, non-teaching staff in 35 schools have tested positive for the coronavirus since reopening.
- However Education Cabinet Secretary has ordered schools to remain still as the government works with the Health Ministry to guarantee learners are protected.
Education Cabinet secretary Professor George Magoha has said the government has no intentions to reclose learning institutions even as the number of Covid-19 victims continues to rise.
Pronouncing on Thursday 29th of October, the CS downplayed the danger of infection on learners and maintained there is no ground for alarm as no panic amongst learners has been observed.
The CS was inspecting the distribution of desks obtained under an Sh1.9 billion tender stimulus package at Nairobi's Uhuru Gardens Primary School.
Basic Education PS Belio Kipsang on yesterday while appearing before the Parliamentary Committee on Education reported that 4 non-teaching staff, 17 students and 33 teachers in 35 schools had so far tested positive of covid-19.
However, the CS says has directed the schools to continue with calm as the state will work with the Health Ministry to warrant the learners' safety.
Professor Magoha remarks that plan to conduct the national examinations KCPE and KCSE is still on course. "We will let you know if we anything changes but as of now, the plan to conduct exams remain as planned," Magoha said.
The Kenya Certificate of Primary Education exams is scheduled in March, while the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education exams is slated between April and May next year.
The CS had earlier this week warned all schools against mass reopening pointing that the government is yet to confirm other students’ resumption of school.