10 learners from Sigoro Secondary School in Eldama Ravine, have been hospitalized after drinking ethanol. The incident happened on Saturday evening when the students broke into the chemical store within the laboratory using a wire.
Among them were two Form Ones, six Form Twos, and two Form Four candidates. They were noticed after the 10 began vomiting according to the Eldama Ravine Sub-County Education Director Symon Kemei.
“The students, majority of whom were Form Two students, were rushed to Eldama Ravine Sub-County Hospital. Seven of them were treated and discharged while three are still recuperating at the facility but are in stable condition,” said Kemei.
Kolowa Secondary School headteacher Mr. Zakayo Domokong said that the students stole the chemical from the school laboratory in the evening without the knowledge of their teacher.
“When the principal was alerted, the teachers swung into action to establish if more students were involved. Fortunately, it was only the 10 and there is no cause for alarm because those discharged and those still in hospital are doing well,” Mr. Kimei Said.
Investigations have already kicked off to ascertain what happened and who was involved. The education director has said.
“The aspect of disciplinary action will be handled by the institution’s board upon a conclusive investigation on Monday (today) when the day scholars report to school. We will get a full report on what transpired in the course of the week,” said Kemei.
Back in 2017, a student from Kolowa Secondary School in Tiaty Sub-County died after consuming methanol. 9 other students were hospitalized in the same event.
More than 10 students had broken into the school’s laboratory and made away with a bottle of methanol which they later drank.