KNUT, KUPPET Endorse Raila For President
The Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT) and the Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers (KUPPET) have endorsed Azimio la Umoja One Kenya presidential candidate Raila Odinga and his running mate Martha Karua on their joint ticket.
This was said at a breakfast meeting on Wednesday attended by Karua and over 300 teachers from both unions in Kiambu County.
Karua assured the tutors that, if elected, the Azimio administration would increase both human resources and monthly perks for teachers in the country.
Teachers, according to the leader of the Narc Kenya party, are critical service providers for the country’s current and future dependency.
Earlier in the day, over 2,000 women in Kirinyaga County endorsed her at a town hall meeting.
- Schools Re-Open As Pressure Pile To Revise Academic Calendar
- Parents To Pay More Than 100% Monthly Income On School Supplies
- Police Urge Parents To Ensure School Children Report Back, Assures Them Safety.
- Prisons To Provide Quality Education to Children of Imprisoned Mothers
- KNUT, KUPPET Congratulates Ruto, Promises To Support Him
“This is a strong country which has resources, which if well-managed, each sector will be well looked after.
“We have heavy debts, but those debts are not a deterrence, if we seal the loopholes we’ll not only pay the debts but we will also develop and meet the needs of the various sectors, including teachers,” said Karua.
KNUT Secretary General Collins Oyuu, on his part, said: “On behalf of teachers in this republic, I’m saying and I want to reiterate, the best team to campaign for is Baba na Martha.
“As their manifesto is, we shall have employment of all teachers. This team shall seek to review the salaries of teachers in this republic.”
Collins Oyuu, Secretary General of the Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT), urged teachers to support the Azimio La Umoja Movement on March 22.
Oyuu told teachers at the union’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) that they must always support the government, and that since President Uhuru Kenyatta is in Azimio, so should the teachers.
- KUPPET Calls For Comprehensive Revision of School Calendar
- KUPPET Chastise Magoha For Causing Confusion Over School’s Re-Opening
- Nepotism Rock TSC’s Teachers Recruitment As KNUT, KUPPET Demand Answers
- KUPPET Fault Magoha Over Abrupt Closure Of schools
- Kuppet Wants Magoha Fired For Opposing 60% Teachers’ Pay Raise
“If the government of the day has endorsed Raila as the fifth president, who am I to take a different direction. As the spokesperson, we are in Azimio,” he said.
He stated that teachers have the democratic right to support whomever they want, but as a life-long member of ODM, it is in the Union’s best interests if they support the government.