Some Homa Bay County teachers have stated that they are only implementing the Competency-Based Curriculum (CBC) to save their jobs.
Teachers who spoke with The Standard claimed that the new curriculum is "heading nowhere," and that "those who claim its implementation is successful are education officials who are out of touch with reality."
- Teachers in rush to enrol for professional development training (TPD)
- Primary Schools Set To Lose Significant Amount Of Capitation Money As Parents Opposes Proposal To Raise Fees Under CBC
- Uhuru defends CBC at UN meeting, says it will prepare the country to produce decent and rewarding jobs
- Atheists In Kenya Society wants CRE, HRE and IRE Removed From Syllabus Under CBC Reforms
Teachers, according to them, are only implementing the CBC because they are afraid of being fired by the Teachers Service Commission. They identified a key shortcoming as a lack of training to effectively implement the new curriculum.
They claimed that Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha coerced them into implementing the new curriculum, despite their "lack of capacity."
“Even those who were training us lacked mastery of the curriculum. At times when we were asking questions, they would tell us to take things the way they were presented because they also did not know,” said a teacher.
The CBC, according to Kenya National Union of Teachers Homa Bay Secretary Patrick Were, "has no future."
Education officials claim that CBC implementation is proceeding smoothly but according to the KNUT official things are different on the ground. Mr Were stated, "CBC has failed in schools."
Mr Were, who is also the principal of Gendia Primary School, cited a lack of resources in schools and a high teacher-to-pupil ratio as some of the challenges that CBC faces.
"What the government needs to know is that this curriculum requires a teacher to attend closely to a pupil. But the teacher-pupil ratio of 1:90 is defective.
"It is a fact that teachers are implementing the curriculum to protect our payslips. But they are not doing it for the academic development of children of this country,” said Were.
He said the government only need to revamp the existing curriculum to improve educational quality.
- New Salary Scales for TSC Employed Teachers
- TSC Salary For Newly Promoted Teachers
- All Allowances Paid To TSC Teachers In Kenya
- TSC Vacancies Online Application Procedures. How To Apply
- 26 Bachelor Of Science And Arts Degree Teaching Courses banned by TSC
- DOWNLOAD FREE Schemes of Work.
- DOWNLOAD FREE PAST PAPERS
- DOWNLOAD FREE SYLLABUS
- DOWNLOAD FREE LESSON PLANS
- DOWNLOAD FREE NOTES
- DOWNLOAD FREE UNIVERSITY NOTES
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK
â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹For more Teachers Update
Join the @TeachersUpdates Telegram channel
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER