Tuesday, December 6, 2022
HomeNews100 Students Rushed to Hospital in Kaplong Girls High School Fire

100 Students Rushed to Hospital in Kaplong Girls High School Fire

100 Students Rushed to Hospital in Kaplong Girls High School Fire

Saturday night in Bomet County, a fire broke out at Kaplong Girls’ High School, sending at least 100 students to the hospital.

Stanley Kiplangat, the medical director of Kaplong Mission Hospital, stated that no student suffered burns.

A teacher is also admitted to St. Clare’s Kaplong Hospital with minor injuries after a ferocious fire destroyed 15 temporary teacher housing structures.

“No student was burnt or had breathing problems. They were brought here as a result of shock after the fire gutted 15 temporary structures,” he said.

Saturday evening’s 8:00 p.m. fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in one of the homes.

Due to a poor road, a fire engine from the Bomet County government was unable to reach the school.

“Most of the students were discharged from hospital on Saturday night and those still in hospital are those who had other conditions like chest problems. We are still monitoring and managing them here.” 

Johan Masogha, director of education for the Sotik Sub-County, prohibited the media and parents from entering the school.

He reported that a crisis meeting between officials from the Ministry of Education, the school’s Board of Management, and the security team was currently taking place at the institution.

“Nothing was salvaged from the houses. The fire spread quickly to the other houses. Investigations into the incident have commenced,” said Sotik Sub-County Police Commander Francis Ng’ang’a.

On Sunday morning, hundreds of parents who had travelled from different parts of the region to check on their children were denied access to the institution.

The physician stated that school counselors had been dispatched to speak with students.

“The students were taken through counselling sessions and advised on how to manage and deal with emotions after the unexpected incident,” Kiplangat said.

Electricity is suspected to have caused the fire in one of the residences.

According to reports, the affected students inhaled smoke while attempting to extinguish the fire.

Several students fainted from shock as the fire spread.

According to doctors at St. Clare’s Kaplong Hospital, the students were no longer in danger and were responding well to treatment.

Cross Society, and the Bomet County Disaster Management department.

The public, the Bomet county disaster department, and school personnel struggled to contain the fire that destroyed 15 temporary structures.

The fire extinguisher from the county government of Bomet had trouble reaching the scene.

When parents heard about the fire, they rushed to the school and camped out at the entrance for the majority of the day in order to determine if their children were safe.

Pupil Dies, 6 Injured

On Friday night, a dormitory caught fire at Adu Blossom Day and Boarding School in Nyakach, Kisumu County, resulting in the death of one pupil and the injury of six others.

The fire, which also injured a teacher, reportedly broke out just after the pupil went to bed. The instructor was observing the boys in the dormitories.

While receiving treatment at Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital, the student passed away.

Commander of the Nyakach Sub-County, Daniel Chacha, stated that he got the fire report around 11:30 p.m.

“We received the report that a fire had broken out in one of the dormitories of the school in Katito with nine pupils and one teacher trapped inside,” said Mr Chacha.

When we arrived at the school, the door was locked from the inside, requiring us to breach it in order to free the trapped students.

Mr. Chacha stated, “We were able to save all ten inhabitants of the dormitory, including the teacher, but they all got severe burns.”

Four of the victims were treated for minor injuries and released from Nyakach Sub County Hospital, where the injured were rushed.

Those suffering from severe burns were transferred to Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital for additional care, he said.

While the cause of the fire has yet to be determined, Mr. Chacha has requested assistance from a number of specialists in the investigation.

100 Students Rushed to Hospital in Kaplong Girls High School Fire


Most Popular