Thursday, December 1, 2022
HomeUniversityHow Ezekiel Machogu Will Adress University Funds Crisis and Staff Welfare

How Ezekiel Machogu Will Adress University Funds Crisis and Staff Welfare

How Ezekiel Machogu Will Adress University Funds Crisis and Staff Welfare

The Education Cabinet nominee Ezekiel Machogu has promised to address university issues such as funding and staff welfare.

Machogu stated that he is aware of the issues with Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs) that have caused stress among employees.

“Once I get to office I will engage the national treasury and also talk to MPs so that we call find a solution to these issues,” he said.

He also stated that he will ensure that the Universities Fund’s mandate of allocating funds to institutions of higher learning based on established criteria is carried out.

Machogu stated that he is aware that some cartels within the ministry have thwarted Universities Fund’s full empowerment to discharge its mandate.

“Universities Fund will be operationlised. It is not the officers in ministry to do it. The body to dispatch the funds is this institution. During my first month in office this will be operationalized,” said Machogu.

The Government finances universities through the Universities Fund using the Maximum Differentiated Unit Cost (MDUC) criterion. According to the criteria, the government is expected to cover 80% of the costs, with universities and households covering the remaining 20%.

The Universities Fund has received numerous appeals from universities claiming that they are unable to meet their financial and statutory obligations.

On whether billions of dollars should be sent to private universities for government-sponsored students, Machogu stated that the issue is largely legislative in nature and asked MPs to amend the law.

“Government gives capitation to all public universities. According to the amendments done by MPs to Universities Act. This is what made it possible for private universities to access public money,” said Machogu.

He claims that students sent to private universities receive Sh63,000 while those sent to public universities receive Sh153,000.

“So far some 86, 000 in private universities accessing funds. This is not a policy matter. It is a legislative matter and MPs can come up with amendments,” said Machogu.

How Ezekiel Machogu Will Adress University Funds Crisis and Staff Welfare

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular

WE'RE SOCIAL

16,009FansLike
1,786FollowersFollow
13,681FollowersFollow
1,296FollowersFollow
3,673FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe