Form One Student Goes on a 5 Days Hunger Strike Due To Lack Of Fees.
A Form One student who is unable to attend high school due to a lack of funds has gone on hunger strike.
Kibet, who spoke to the media as well, expressed concern that his chances of enrolling in Mama Ngina Secondary School in Rongai, where he was known, were dwindling by the day.
On May 4, his colleagues reported to Form One for the first time while he
remained at home.
“My mum keeps telling me she is praying hard. I have patiently waited for her prayers to be answered since I downloaded my admission letter. “
He says he is tired of staying at home doing nothing and being asked why he hasn’t reported to the school by neighbors and schoolmates.
The mother of 15-year-old Ian Kibet, who lives in the Kaptembwa informal settlements in Nakuru county, confirmed that her son has gone on hunger strike because the family was unable to raise school fees for him to attend secondary school.
She stated that she earns Ksh200 per day from her laundry services, which is insufficient to feed the family and transport the boy, who has gone five days without food, to school.
“He refuses to eat because he has not reported to Form One.”
“He says he will not abandon the hunger strike protest until he joins Form One,” she explained, adding that she was worried about his health.
The mother revealed that the student decided he wouldn’t eat because he hadn’t reported to Form One. “
The boy has vowed that he won’t stop the hunger strike until he gets into Form One.
“The boy has vowed that he won’t stop the hunger strike until he gets into Form One.”
Kibet’s mother washes clothes in the nearby Shabab Estate for Ksh200 per day. She says sometimes she doesn’t get a job, which means she goes hungry.
Her daughter had applied for a bursary at the Nakuru West constituency office but had been unsuccessful.
She says her son applied for the Elimu and Wings to Fly scholarships, but he was unsuccessful even after the assessment committees visited her single room, interviewed her family, and saw the situation.
Kibet was one of 1.2 million candidates who took the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) in 2021.
The candidates were assigned to one of the 8,933 public schools and some were admitted to one of the 1,554 private institutions.
- Zizi Afrique Want Life Skills and Values Incorporated in Curriculum
- Class 8 Pupil Commits Suicide Over Fee Balance
- Deaf Entrepreneurs Promote Sign Language
- Girls’ Success in Math Contest Signals Bright STEM Future
- Diarrhea Outbreak at Mukumu Girls School, 124 students Hospitalized
- JOOUST to Offer TVET Programs
To assist the government in achieving 100% high school enrollment, CS Geoge Magoha has asked school principals to allow needy students to report without school uniforms.