Dateline: September 28th 2020
Major role: English teacher
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Supervising Officer: School Principal
Type of Contract: Full Time, Temporal, Renewal
'Still, I Rise' is a worldwide Non-Governmental Organisation with a career to furnishing quality education to refugee and disadvantaged youth. We created Still I Rise to reply to a detailed need: give education and a comfortable social environment to teenagers around the planet.
We are now initiating the first Still I Rise International school for refugees in the capital city of Kenya, Nairobi. We will pursue an international curriculum as well as the Still I Rise educational criterion based on three pillars: personal development, education,
and safe space.
The Teacher of English will enter the Education Department and will be in charge of teaching a mixed population of eager learners in the first International School for refugee and vulnerable children in Kenya. This job entails working both alone and with a teaching team.
The Teacher of English will be a prospective, inspiring, and energetic individual with strong mentoring skills. Somebody ambitious curious and eager to explore new and problematic didactic strategies.
- Task Planning: Plan Lessons, delivering content and facilitating active, dynamic, and creative English language lessons for various classes of 10-17-year-olds.
- Progressive Monitoring: Reviewing and monitoring the students progress and identifying their individual academic needs in complicity with the School Principal.
- Reporting and Administration: Managing all administration tasks such as attendance and examination reports to the School Principal
- Curriculum Design: English teachers will be expected to formulate and improve different levels of English curricula, following particularly given approaches, but merging them to new and ambitious schooling and educational skills, working alone and as a team.
- Behavioural Management: Managing learners of differing life backgrounds and unfavourable childhood understandings in collaboration with the institution Principal with the Child Protection Officer.
- Professional Development: Attending training and professional development seminars and meetings.
- Native or competent understanding of the English language or written.
- Must be Kenyan;
- Must be registered with the Teaching Service Commission (TSC).
- Educational and Professional Certificates are mandatory.
- Bachelors in Education degree or equivalent language teaching knowledge will be considered;
- A minimum of 2 years of teaching familiarity;
- Fulfilment of CRB/Background assessment
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, communication skills, and teaching mastery;
- Capacity to mentor learners on a day-to-day basis;
- Commitment and enthusiasm to help in a challenging and diversifying environment;
- Interest, ambition, enthusiasm to establish and experiment new teaching strategies;
- Serious team player.
- TEFL, CELTA or International English Teaching Certification (IETC) preferred;
- Experience in teaching kids and teenagers;
- Experience in serving refugee societies;
- Experience helping vulnerable society.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE JOB
Aspirants are asked to submit their application containing their TSC number, CV, cover letter and via email: [email protected] and indicating the subject “ENGLISH TEACHER NAIROBI”.
Only shortlisted competitors will be called for an interview.